
My plan today was to write about the usual. Originally I was going to write about how great my Spring Break had been and just how much I hated having to come back to the demons. But, like always, things change.
On most mornings when I walk into the office to sign in, I see Sickly Demon. This morning he was not there, so I assumed that his bus was running late or that he had an early doctors appointment and would be in later this morning. When I got to my classroom this morning, I read a note from the sub telling me that SicklyDemon had been absent the day before. Around 10 I knew something was wrong because neither he nor his nurse showed up this morning. I planned to call his mother after school to see if all was OK.
Not long after 10, Sickly's mom shows up. For whatever reason, my heart dropped to my stomach. I just felt that something was not right. She told me that over Spring Break, he had been told that he had to have his umpteenth operation. This time, it was simple. They were to remove his tonsils and his adenoids. Seems that he has been unable to sleep. He has sleep apnea and could not rest during the night. That compounded with the tons of medication that he takes explains why he is so sleepy in the mornings.
Well it seems they did the operation and on the way back to the recovery unit, Sickly stopped breathing. For a moment when his mother is telling me this story I think I stopped breathing. It took her a few moments to realize what I was thinking and she quickly corrected herself and told me that the nurses were able to revive him and he only had a short stay in ICU. He sent her to school this morning for his homework. He knew I would be mad if he did not do it.
AMAZING!
Each time I think of this child, he reminds me not to worry about the small stuff or the stuff I cannot change. Each day for Sickly, and for all of us is a miracle. We should learn to look for the miracles, even the small ones in each day and be thankful for those. I know that with children having such major issues in their young lives, I should not worry about the day to day petty things that happen in my own. I should only worry about getting my homework done. HAHA!
Sickly's mom then asked if it he could have a birthday party in class next week. He had already told her he was coming back on Monday (because he had to turn in his homework). Birthdays are really special for him. The doctor's had been telling her for years that he would not make it to 5 years old. She now says that they are planning what type of treatments he will need in his TEENS! Of course I said that it would be no problem. I can't wait to celebrate this special child's birthday with him.
Oh yeah...and to check his homework!
Tuesday, April 10, 2007
My Plan...
My Thoughts...
KGreen
at
11:35 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Kids are amazing. I hope the lil guy makes it to 80, and then do the "NaNaNaNaNaaahhh Dance" at the doctors!!
I just love that little boy!
Post a Comment