My last day with the demons was sad. The funny part is no one could have told me that letting them go would have been this hard. I did my best to make sure that our last days were fun. Sadly, though I tried we did not have too much fun this school year. There were always test and assesments and district policies to contend with. We watched movies (even though principal was not happy about that), ate cupcakes, drank a ton of punch and at the final hour, had Mrs. Green's world famous ice cream sodas. Yeah...I sent them home to their parents like they usually sent them to me this year...sugarded up and ready to run.
Usually only a few children come on the last couple days of school. Of course, DemonSlayer was the first face that I saw right up until the end. I can only assume that his mom did not want to start her vacation too early. He must have come for the free hot dogs and the chance to do his favorite thing in school without having anyone fuss....NOTHING. The JesusDemons were there and so was Ms. Brazil. We had a great time.
The best part of it all was truly unexpected. Around 11 o'clock on the very last day, Mr. Colorado and his mom came to the door. He had not come that morning and I was sure that, like most of the kids, he was just going to stay home and start vacation early. His mom told me that when he woke up he realized that he had not given me the card that he had spent all weekend working on. In the card he thanked me for being the best teacher he ever had (and the spelled it right). He also told me how he was going to miss me over the summer and was sad that I was not coming back to the school. He also said that he would remember that I was he favorite person. Go figure.
The sad thing is I will miss my demons. I can take pleasure knowing that I have sent them out into the cold hard second grade world prepared and ready to put up the good fight with their own demons. Maybe I have been the crazy one all along because I will truly miss each of them.
(OK well maybe not Shawshank, but you get the idea!)
Tuesday, June 12, 2007
Letting Go of My Demons
My Thoughts...
KGreen
at
10:38 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm going to miss the stories..sigh...one journey ending another one beginning!
Post a Comment