Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Uh-Oh Moment...


Oprah has these Ah-Ha moments where she realizes something profound in her life. I tend to have more of the Uh-Oh moment where I realize that I have been doing something totally backwards. Yesterday was an Uh-Oh kinda day. I had a long talk with Crimes Legal. She has started a new relationship and between that, school, work and being a mommy we have not had as much time to speak as usual. It's understandable...that is quite a load. Couple that with the fact that I have quite a bit to carry also and you can see why we just don't get on the phone too much.


Oh, but when we do...


During the course of conversation we got to talking about every woman's favorite subject...MEN. More specifically we talked about how men pout about you not letting them be 'the man'. This came up when I told her that Hubby got all tender on me the other day when I told him I did not need something and he bought it anyway. He told me that he was the man and if he felt he could get something that I wanted that I should let him be the man and buy it. He got REAL serious on me. He also talked about how he did not do that in his last major relationship thinking that being a workaholic and making sure bills were paid but not talking care of his woman caused him to loose 'his woman' (I started wondering when Hubby started talking like a 1970 sitcom character...but I digress) Long story short, I ended up with my umpteenth white t-shirt (I love those things).



CL said that she had a similar conversation with her new beau when he argued with her over purchasing a chair for her home. She said that she could not afford it right now and that she could wait. He said that he was a working member of that household too and that he would buy it for her. The conversation went back and forth and I think she may have ended up with a new chair (hey, everyone has to sit down sometime). We both laughed at how petty and simple men can be.


Then it hit me...just a few short years ago we were complaining that we could not find a man that would take care of us and let us just be women. We were sick of having to handling everything our selves. For the last 30 some-odd years we have had to make all the decisions and pay all the bills and worry about all the things that required worration (my grandmother's word).


Ain't it funny how things change?


When you get what you prayed for, you turn around and change the prayer! That has to be the reason why we think God is not answering our prayers. He is answering them, we just keep switching up on the request. Poor Deity is confused. So we both decided then and there (and yes with some hesitation) to allow the man to be the man. Allowing him to be the man does not mean we play the fool, but let the man do all the man things we have been arguing, pining, begging and singing Mary J. Blige songs about for so many years.



Uh-Oh, Ladies, I think we might be on to something!


No comments: