This weekend I went to visit a friend of mine in Athens, GA. Athens is only known for one thing and that is UGA. The University of Georgia takes up a lot of space in the small Georgia town, it also takes up a lot of space in the residents of the city. If ever there was a city proud of its college team...well, Athen is that town. The funny thing is that although Ms. Athens works for the school, she is not the die-hard Bulldog fan. Her husband, however, secrectly suits up and plays wide receiver for the team. They just don't know it.
Anyway, this weekend, during my long drive to and from Athens, I though a lot about where life takes us. Just like the long road there, our life is a long road with many twist, turns, and rest stops along the way. The whole jouney takes us to an unknown destination. Usually one that we were not expecting and only came across because of some detour we decided to take. For example, Ms. Athens is a former beauty queen and is able to be bougie with the best of us. She married this small town boy and though the mix seems combustable, the bottom line is that they are in love and have a great family.
This weekend she was the lead driver on my pilgramage to the Envy store. I have watched the show on Black Family Channel many times and promised my self that the next time I was in the ATL I would make sure to stop by the store. I had to keep from jumping up and down and screaming like a school girl when the women from the store were actually in the shop. Envy is in a popuplar bohemian part of Atlana called Five Points. After paying way too much for some shirts and shorts. Miss A and I decided that we would walk around a place that we had been to many times before, only in younger years. Going to an area that you frequented when you were younger after you have aged a bit is usually funny. In most of the stores we just looked at each other and sighed..."Why did we used to come here again?". It was fun, and it was a laugh, but we needed to get back next to some folk our own age.
As we drove around we had a chance to talk. It was weird because it was uninterrupted. There was no Hubby asking me questions, no baby crying, or Jazzi asking is she can have her 6000th snack of the day. It was nice to just talk. As women do we talked about relationships, life. love. the future and had some good laughs about the past. The next morning, I started my long ride home.
It's good to have time to spend with old friends. I loved my weekend. And if she will have me, I plan on doing it again soon. Maybe she can take the long ride to my house this time.
Thank You, Athens, for a lovely weekend.
Tuesday, June 12, 2007
The Long Ride Home
My Thoughts...
KGreen
at
2:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's good you had a chance to get away, reflect, and relax.
Post a Comment