Friday, May 11, 2007

Some Fridays...


Some Fridays I really have to ask the Lord to help me make it through the day. Yesterday, my students had a great learning day. I went a whole day without referring to them as 'demons' or wanting to box them a la De La Hoya (but not in his last fight).

Today is a different story. It amazes me that there are days when these kids just do not know how to act. It is almost as if they are robots and someone forgets to re-boot them at night. It is as if they have forgotten EVERYTHING that they have known. There have been fires in North Florida and it has made everything in Miami look hazy and smell smoky for days. I think the smoke has affected the children's ability to make any damn since.

For example, Sickly Demon is trying so hard to make sure someone gets in trouble today. He gets away with a lot with his family because he has been so gravely ill for so long. I really can't blame them for that. But, he has a tendency to not tell the whole truth. For example this morning:


SD: Ms. Green JD threw something at me.

JD: No I didn't! I have been here minding my business trying to take my test.

SD: She threw something at me.


Me: What did she throw?

SD: I don't know it was all balled up?

Me: Where is it?

SD: It is behind her?

Now, that I look back on it...this is the part where I should have stopped this conversation.

Me: She threw something at you and now it is behind her?

JD: NO I DIDN'T!!


SD: YES YOU DID!!


Me: OK I don't see anything behind her and if she threw something at you, then why would it be behind her?


Then the light bulb comes on.

Me: Did you throw it back at her?


SD: Yes.


Me: But you only told about her?


SD: Yes.


Me: Why?

SD: Because I cannot have things thrown at me.

Me: But you can throw them at people?


SD: Yes.

I this point I just stopped the conversation. I cannot wait until the bell rings. See...some Fridays I just can't win.

No comments: