Friday, May 04, 2007

27, 360 Minutes...


I am so very ready for school to be over. This is the time of year that I hate the most. We have about 19 school days left and now all the 'concerned' parents want to come to make sure their simple children are progressing to the next grade.

Case in point:

I have a child in class that I have not talked about much. Mainly, because most days with him are uneventful. He usually lies in his chair on his belly and pretends that he is superman. He annoys the hell out of me most days, but in recent weeks I have learned to ignore him and deal with the other demons. Let's call him KryponiteDemon (KD). This is a better name than Slow Demon or JustaintgonnamakeitDemon. Anyway, at the beginning of the year, I told his mom that we were gonna have some problems. He was held back in Kindergarten and came to first grade still barely knowing letter sounds and unable to spell his name correctly. So far he can sound out small words and at least will spell his first name correctly (well most of the time).


Yesterday I got a note from Principal saying that she had set up a meeting for me and KD's dad for Friday at 3:30. For a teacher that gets off at 4:00 this is a problem, but what can you do? They want to meet... you meet. I immediately got angry about this note because for the last 120 days I have not seen or heard about dad. I have talked to his mom many times, but she never mentioned a dad, and in this day and age I have learned not to ask about the Baby Daddy unless baby Momma brings him up. So I asked Principal what this was all about. She took me in her office (AWWW DAYUMN).

Principal: KD's dad says that he is worried about his grades.

Me: Huh?

Principal: He is worried about his grades.

Me: Did you know we have 19 days of school left?

Principal: Well, yes.

Me: Then we have passed the point of where his worrying is even going to matter.

Principal: He also says that KD told him you hit him.

Me: Be for real.

Principal: I told him that I just don't believe that. He said he is not worried about that...just about the grades.

Me: A parent is not worried about a teacher hitting his child?

Principal: Well yeah...he is more worried about his grades?

Me: Get out! You know there are 19 days left, right?

Principal: (sigh)

In the short time I have been here Principal has learned a couple things about me. One, I DO NOT do well at end of the year conferences with parents that I have not seen for 120 days. I feel parents know (or should know) their children well. At least better than I do. These people knew this kid was one nugget short of a Happy Meal. I should have seen them every day. Not when there is only 27,360 minutes left in the school year. Baby Daddy must not realize that they still give out report cards every 9 weeks. They also give out progress reports every 5 weeks. Hell, I send out notes and emails on a weekly basis. I'll even call you if need be.

I am really not looking forward to this meeting. I have been warned by the front office that KD's mystery dad is over 6 feet tall and menacing. Obviously, they have not met Hubby. I am angry that I am even put in a position to discuss this child's grades with dad at this point in the school year. Mystery Dad also told the front office that his Baby Momma was going to come to the school to cuss me out. Principal told him that obviously he had not met Ms. Green and that if old girl did come to the school with the drama she would call the police. It is some kinda offense here in the MIA to come to a school starting stuff. They automatically take you downtown.

All I can say is Jesus be a fence around me so I do not go all Miss Piggy on this fool. Now there are only 27,350 minutes...and counting.

No comments: