Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Perfect Role Model


(If this is Today's Black Woman, we are all screwed)



My people are AMAZING!!

Crimes Legal and I once talked about creating a blog called "Black Caucus". On this site we would discuss things that we as a people need to sit down, talk out, and do better about. Black folk have a lot of things to "do better" about.

We find as many things as possible to separate us as a people. We separate by skin, hair style, weight, socioeconomic levels, education...just anything we can come up with that will try to make us seem better than our fellow man. My Black Caucus issue of today is who we choose as role models.

When I first heard about Karrine Steffans it was all about the hype of her first book "Confessions of a Video Vixen". I will admit that being the gossip junkie that I am, I read the book with fervor. Soon after she was on the talk show circuit, of course promoting her book. I thought she was a beautiful well spoken woman, and what she had to say was so necessary.

She said...and on Oprah no less (gasp!!)...that she wrote this book to tell girls about the bad side of being a video model and how that road could lead to you losing yourself. She told graphic stories in her book about all the men she had slept with and how she ended up doing adult videos and anything else to make a buck. Her impassioned interview on Oprah told of how this life was behind her and how she was changing her life for her and her son. It was beautiful...I think I may have shed a tear (OK, not really).

I remember thinking WOW this chick has turned her life around. I really hope that some girl sees this or reads the book and know that she can change after leading and living such a hard life. What a great role model.Now I know how stupid that thought was.

Well, all that dick sucking must have gone to her head (no pun intended) and to the rest of the media also. She has another tell all book and she is on the cover of most every magazine, on radio show and any other type of interview being as vulgar as she can be. I heard her on the Jamie Fox Show and I was just amazed at what was coming out of her mouth. And Black folk are looking at her as a role model. RIDICULOUS! I have read a couple articles where she is saying that she is just a normal girl...but a few pages later there she is with her butt poked out with a new video, or with almost nothing on on the cover of a men's magazine. All this and you get mad when someone refers to you as Superhead...the name you copyrighted for yourself!!! GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE!

This woman has a son and I wonder how he is going to feel about woman when he grows up? What can she tell him? When your mama is known for being the best dick sucker in the free world, just what can she say to you to make you respect women? But here she is on the cover of a magazine...telling us how she is just a regular girl.

So here's a thought: Be your own damn child's role model. Stop looking for someone else. No one should be better than you to show your child how to make it in this world. There is no one better than a mom to show a daughter how to be a strong successful woman and carry herself like a lady. There is no more perfect example of being a man than a father that is there and guides his son. The folk that we are choosing (or that the media is choosing for us, hmmm??, that's a thought) are just not what we want our kids to grown up and become.

I am going to start working to day make sure I am a role model for my kids!!

(God forbid it is Superhead..yeah chick, I said it)

No comments: