Tuesday, July 31, 2007

For the love of Money...


It is my belief that my family is so very worried about money. Most of the concerns I get from them stem from money. So it really took me aback yesterday when Auntie Dearest sent an email to me that said:


"Let's not make this about money, we are family and these are family
matters. Don't take things so personally."


Wow. Now, that's that bullshit right there!

When I read that I was heated! How can someone not take something personally when conversations are about them exclusively? Then, for the rest of a restless night, I began to wonder. "Am I making this about money?" I thought about it so much that I started praying by accident. What I mean by that is that I think I had a conversation with the Lord instead of the usual beggin and pleading that most folk do. " Lord, am I really that concerned about what these folk do with this money?" Hell, it ain't my money. Really it is not theirs either. I am just the one to make sure that it is distributed fairly. Oddly the more I 'prayed' the more I thought about the situation and about Auntie Dearest's comment. Moreover, I though about just how much I miss my family. Even my dumb ass Aunt. See what concerns me most is that she and Uncle Junkie are getting their financial advice from the jackleg accountant that got gradndaddy in the IRS mess we are in now. In my opinion, he is the LAST person any one should be asking for assistance. But that is just me. See...there I go talking about money again, when I should not be taking this personally and talking about family. Somebody help me get my mind right!!

We may not be the sanest group right now. Now that I think about it, we really have never been a truly sane group. We were (are) the truly functional, dysfuntional family unit. But we did at least love each other. So, when I thought back on her comment, I began to wonder. "If this is not about money, and it IS about family...then what the hell are we fighting about and what is the plan to get us back on track as family again?"

I thought about my whole family situation all through the night and into the morning. This made me a very unpleasant person to deal with this morning. But there it was staring me in the face. I had no choice. I would not be right until I got this off my chest. As much as I hated the thought of it, I had to address my concerns to AD. So I wrote an email to just her (not the group like we usually do...but I did keep a copy...ya gotta watch ya back with this crowd) this morning. In part it read:

"I keep thinking about this and you are right. This is not about money. Pretty soon that part of this whole argument will be over. What will we do to be family again?"

See, I keep thinking of this situation as a money issue because that is all we talk about. No one says anything about what we are going to do when the money is gone. What is the plan to getting back to being family? I doubt it will ever be the same as it was...but there at least has to be some start.

As of this post, I have not recieved a response from Auntie Dearest...and I really wonder if I ever will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You sure have been blog busy...like I always say you keep doing what you are suppose to do and pray that everything works out. Everybody has their own cross to bear and answer to their maker so extend the olive branch and let destiny take over. Love ya sis!