Monday, November 27, 2006

Driving Mr. Hubby...

I recently read Tavis Smiley's book "What I know for Sure". In it he tells of his life's ups and downs. The most memorable person in his life is his grand mother. She was one of those people, much like my grandmother, that tossed out little pearls of wisdom. The one that sticks out the most for me is " There is a blessing and a lesson in everything".

This year I spent my Thanksgiving with my husband's family. With all the drama that ensued with Auntie Dearest, my family had just chosen not to be together. I was really remiss about spending the holiday with Hubby's people. I thought that I would feel left out. Then I had to take in mind all the family gatherings that Hubby has attended with me. Surely, i could do this one thing. So off we went to Atlanta. Surpsrisingly, I had a great time. I learned that other families are as open and as crazy as my own.


I also learned that men + electronics = a headache for the woman in the car with them.

We had to rent a car to get around for the weekend. Hubby, my step-son and I drove around the city styling and profining in our Volvo station wagon. I laughed about how much I looked like a soccer mom, and the looks my 6'7" stepson got as he unfolded himself out of the backseat. The car was equpped with a "Never Lost" navigating system. I looked at the contraption and signed. Hubby and Step looked at it in awe. I knew this was the start of a big mess.


I was right.


So hubby calls the in-laws for directions to their home. As he is talking he is plugging the address in the little black box. I am driving. " Do we get on 85N or 85S?" Hubby ignores me, continues his conversation with the in-laws and I am left to drive aimlessly down the road.

"Which way do I go?"


Hubby ignores me and continues to talk phone and punch all types of directions in the black box. I realize that he must be talking to my male in-law because he has now told him about the little black box and all I can hear on the phone is "Cool man, how does that work?" Hubby is explaining and I have resigned myself to just driving and sight seeing. Hubby hangs up the phone.

"Did you ask him if we should get on 85 north or south?"

"No, why would I do that? We have the navigation system?"

"But weren't you getting directions to his house?"

"Yes." At this point he is looking at me like I am the damn fool when clearly he is.

" So why not just ASK him?"

"Why would I do that and I have the navigation system?"


Ain't this a bitch?


Fast forward to later that night, because I do not want to deal with the navigation system, Hubby drives. This little box has the most annoying woman's voice. It constantly tells you to turn right or that your turn is appraoching. For whatever reason, when hubby is driving, he wants to use his caveman sense of direction. The little voice has told us several times to get over in the right lane and take the airport exit. Hubby passes the exit. The little voice is angry. I know I should have never started this conversation, but what the hell:

"Why didn't you pull over in your lane"

" I am going to take the next exit."

"Why?" See this is where I went wrong.

" I couldn't get over."

"But it told you two miles ago that you needed to get over."

"Whatever...this exit will be ok. I see th planes so I know we are near the airport."

"Well, I know that we are close to the airport because that damn box told us so TWO MILES AGO!!"

A while later we are using the little box to re-route us back to the hotel.



Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: