Tuesday, August 15, 2006

It's been a long time...I shouldn'ta left ya....

So it has been a few days since I have posted anything on this site. Quite frankly the only reason is because the children are so dayumn hard to deal with. The parents are harder. I work at a school that has leaped from a D to an A in 3 years. It has taken a lot of hard work, but it has really paid off.

The sad part is the parents.

Something is wrong with these Black folk in Miami. I am really starting to believe it is the heat.

Sadly, Black folk want all the riches that other races have, but for the most part we don't want the work that is involved. I am lucky to work with my grade level. We work together and everyone is concerned about making sure our kids are ready for the next grade level. It is hard. We have to raise voices and challenge the kids more than they expect.

As Will Smith said...'parents just don't understand'. One of my co-teachers came into my room today hot, mad and upset. A parent has told her that the homework that we are giving is too hard. What's really funny is we have not started giving first grade homework yet. We are giving a kindergarten review. Anyway, chica has come up to the school raising all kinds of hell because she says that the work is too hard.

Ain't that a bitch?!

What is she going to do next week when we really get into it? Now, at the end of the year she will be the FIRST one crying that her child did not learn anything. I am sure after they meet with the principal this afternoon, she is going to ask For her child to be switched to another class. It would be in her best interest that it is not my classroom. I really don't have time for the foolishness.

For example, I had one of my students bow up on me. If you are not from down South, you may not know what the hell bow up means. This little knucklehead actually put his hands up and jerk at me like we were going to fight. I mean he was in a stance like he was gonna go all Sugar Ray on a girl. I was amazed. At that point, I had to prove myself. If he got away with this my whole class would be crazy within minutes. So I looked him straight in the face an told him, "BEST BELIEVE I WILL TUSSLE WITH A 6 YEAR OLD!!". He looked at me like I was crazy as did the other teachers in the hall and my students. But don't get it twisted, that he got his little tail back in line with the quickness. With his finger over his lip. And we have not had a problem since.

No comments: