Wednesday, October 18, 2006

And the Winner is....


ME!!

(insert me doing my happy dance here!)

Last night I attended a reception for the winners of Citibank/Education Fund Grants. I wrote the grant on a whim. One of the tutors that was at the school last year hipped me to the site and said that I should apply. Because I was bored one day, I did. A few months later I was surprised to get an email saying that I had been chosen to receive the grant and that there would be a dinner and reception.

Yeah for me....now I would be able to do a project and not have to depend on my raggedy parents to get the things I need for their children. Not bad for a whim. eh?

So a few weeks ago they sent an email with the time and date and a few requirements. They asked that I invite a team mate (OK, I knew who I would ask for that), a family member (Hubby loves these things), let me know that there would be free drinks (Aw, hell yeah, the liquor is free!!) and the principal (!!!). So of course I asked Principal and she accepted.


The reception was not bad. There were teachers and principals all there to share some really good ideas. We had some really good conversations and I learned so much. I also got a check!!

Right before the checks, they asked some of us to get up and tell about our upcoming projects. After some cajoling from my teammate, I got up and talked a bit about my idea. When I sat down Principal said:


(Yep, here goes):


Principal: That was nice. You speak so well.


Now, what kinda fool ass statement is this!? You know what? I know she meant this as a compliment. Nothing more, nothing less. And that is what I will recieve it as. But for a quick minute, that old Chris Rock joke about Colin Powell ran through my head. I am educated and well traveled, of course I speak well. Then I thought about it...just a compliment, leave it at that. So the only natural reply:


Me: Thank you.


Sometimes you have to take your compliments as they come.



The only bad part of the whole thing was the presenter made a mistake and called one of my co-teachers name and not mine. That kinda sucked. But I am happy they when I got to the podium one of the school board members congratulated and said she was sorry for the mix-up. She also gave old boy at the podium the 'gas face' for making the error.


Now, as we award winners must do, I must go bask in the glory of after parties and the praise of my colleagues. Yeah, right...the party is nothing more that surviving the day with the Demon that Sits at the Blue Table and the Demon to My Left.


To celebrate, I will eat this Snickers Bar I just found in my desk.

No comments: