This weekend was great! There is something about being around people that are familiar to you. It gives you a sense of calm. I had this sense of calm this weekend.
I love being around my girlfriends! Truth be told there has been some tension of the last few months with the lot of us, but it seems that we have put it all behind and are right back to that close group we have been for years. I think that sometimes when things are going wrong for you, you can feel that it is going right for everyone else and turn away. I think many conversations this weekend helped us to understand that even when we are down, there is someone to talk to who either shares your pain or will listen and learn from you. I did both those things this weekend.
So on to the good stuff.
I was the last to make it to ATL. To my surprise, everyone was at the airport when I got there. I just had this happy feeling come over me seeing all of us there. Now mind you, we have spent many times in ATL before. In the words of the rap song, we use to 'tear the club up'. This time we were there for something special and you could see the excitement on everyone's face. It was either the excitement from the shower, or we could have just been all excited that Pam made it on time!
We spent the rest of the evening doing what we do best. Talking, eating, and laughing and shopping at the local Wal-Mart. It was way colder in Georgia than it was in Miami. By my new Miami blood I felt like it was below zero; it was actually only about 40. Being the Diva that I want to be, I bought my first funky fur! OK, now remember we were in Wal-Mart. God only knows what the hell kinda fur it is. Looks like English fuzzy sheepdog to me...but I was rocking that thing anyway. English sheep dog is warm as hell.
After a very cold night, we got up the next morning and talked so much we left the house late. We picked up items for the shower (did some shopping...seems like we can find the need to do that anywhere/anytime) and headed back to set up. At first we thought no one was going to make it. The funny thing is we were kinda excited no one was going to make it. We had all we needed for a good party right there. The decision was made to put on some more comfortable clothes, eat, and do what we do. Just as I was about to go put on my GoodTimes JJ Pj's (that I found during that mornings shopping trip! Wal-Mart and Target will be the death of me) the doorbell rang and the party got started.
We had a lot of fun. I think Nicci really enjoyed it and she got some great things for her new baby girl. Crimes Legal is the blog picture Queen, so I am sure photos of the shower (including me in my JJ getup) will be on her site by the end of the week.
The next day we went to church. It was a long beautiful country drive and I had to keep talking to keep from falling asleep. Once we got there, we were blessed to hear a teaching from one of the church's associate pastors. She spoke about true worship. In detail, she explained how you should be able to find a reason to praise and worship anywhere, including funerals. Of course this made me think of my family and all the foolishness we have been going through. We have spent so much time fighting over dumb stuff that we did not take the time to stop and truly worship the Father and thank him for letting us have these people in our lives for so long. Sad ain't it? I think in some way we had found a way of true worship at the baby shower. I think we were all thankful that God had allow us all to be there to share this moment.
After that, Nicci convinced us to go a local BP for breakfast. I looked at her real crazy. Who the hell eats breakfast out of the gas station? She asked me to trust her, and since she drives these county roads on a daily I decided I would. I was scared of what the Diva's in the other car were thinking. I am sure they thought that girl had found the Camry on 'E' and was stopping for a quick fill up. As I got out of the car, I asked God to help me trust her. The line was long which was a good sign since it is my personal opinion that country people know good biscuits. They damn sure did, because that thing was good. As we stood outside and ate, I looked over at Maya and laughed.
Me: Girl we have come full circle.
Miss Maya : I want to ask you why, but I just can't.
Me: Why? (OK I am laughing now)
MM: Because I just don't want to know what you are going to say.
Me: Naw, for real this is a good thing.
MM: OK, dammit. Why have we come full circle?
Me: Girl, we are standing in a field, outside, in the cold next to the superunleaded, eating a biscuit and I am in this lovely Wal- Mart puppy fur!! And we are having the best time.
She laughed and then asked me to move away from her because some of the puppy was shedding into her chicken biscuit.
There are some things I learned this weekend:
1. You can't beat being with your friends.
2. A good laugh can cure a lot of blues.
I love being around my girlfriends! Truth be told there has been some tension of the last few months with the lot of us, but it seems that we have put it all behind and are right back to that close group we have been for years. I think that sometimes when things are going wrong for you, you can feel that it is going right for everyone else and turn away. I think many conversations this weekend helped us to understand that even when we are down, there is someone to talk to who either shares your pain or will listen and learn from you. I did both those things this weekend.
So on to the good stuff.
I was the last to make it to ATL. To my surprise, everyone was at the airport when I got there. I just had this happy feeling come over me seeing all of us there. Now mind you, we have spent many times in ATL before. In the words of the rap song, we use to 'tear the club up'. This time we were there for something special and you could see the excitement on everyone's face. It was either the excitement from the shower, or we could have just been all excited that Pam made it on time!
We spent the rest of the evening doing what we do best. Talking, eating, and laughing and shopping at the local Wal-Mart. It was way colder in Georgia than it was in Miami. By my new Miami blood I felt like it was below zero; it was actually only about 40. Being the Diva that I want to be, I bought my first funky fur! OK, now remember we were in Wal-Mart. God only knows what the hell kinda fur it is. Looks like English fuzzy sheepdog to me...but I was rocking that thing anyway. English sheep dog is warm as hell.
After a very cold night, we got up the next morning and talked so much we left the house late. We picked up items for the shower (did some shopping...seems like we can find the need to do that anywhere/anytime) and headed back to set up. At first we thought no one was going to make it. The funny thing is we were kinda excited no one was going to make it. We had all we needed for a good party right there. The decision was made to put on some more comfortable clothes, eat, and do what we do. Just as I was about to go put on my GoodTimes JJ Pj's (that I found during that mornings shopping trip! Wal-Mart and Target will be the death of me) the doorbell rang and the party got started.
We had a lot of fun. I think Nicci really enjoyed it and she got some great things for her new baby girl. Crimes Legal is the blog picture Queen, so I am sure photos of the shower (including me in my JJ getup) will be on her site by the end of the week.
The next day we went to church. It was a long beautiful country drive and I had to keep talking to keep from falling asleep. Once we got there, we were blessed to hear a teaching from one of the church's associate pastors. She spoke about true worship. In detail, she explained how you should be able to find a reason to praise and worship anywhere, including funerals. Of course this made me think of my family and all the foolishness we have been going through. We have spent so much time fighting over dumb stuff that we did not take the time to stop and truly worship the Father and thank him for letting us have these people in our lives for so long. Sad ain't it? I think in some way we had found a way of true worship at the baby shower. I think we were all thankful that God had allow us all to be there to share this moment.
After that, Nicci convinced us to go a local BP for breakfast. I looked at her real crazy. Who the hell eats breakfast out of the gas station? She asked me to trust her, and since she drives these county roads on a daily I decided I would. I was scared of what the Diva's in the other car were thinking. I am sure they thought that girl had found the Camry on 'E' and was stopping for a quick fill up. As I got out of the car, I asked God to help me trust her. The line was long which was a good sign since it is my personal opinion that country people know good biscuits. They damn sure did, because that thing was good. As we stood outside and ate, I looked over at Maya and laughed.
Me: Girl we have come full circle.
Miss Maya : I want to ask you why, but I just can't.
Me: Why? (OK I am laughing now)
MM: Because I just don't want to know what you are going to say.
Me: Naw, for real this is a good thing.
MM: OK, dammit. Why have we come full circle?
Me: Girl, we are standing in a field, outside, in the cold next to the superunleaded, eating a biscuit and I am in this lovely Wal- Mart puppy fur!! And we are having the best time.
She laughed and then asked me to move away from her because some of the puppy was shedding into her chicken biscuit.
There are some things I learned this weekend:
1. You can't beat being with your friends.
2. A good laugh can cure a lot of blues.
3. People change in really good ways
4. 40 degrees is WAY colder in Georgia than it is in the rest of the free world
5. You can get a hell of a biscuit at a gas station in the middle of Georgia!!

No comments:
Post a Comment