Monday, October 09, 2006

Maybe I am My Hair...at Least a Little


I don't even know why this is on my mind. I am a big fan of neo-soul. I love the music because it links soul and blues with a bit of hip-hop and I think it fits my generation so very well. We hip hop babies are getting older now, and we can't keep 'leaning' with it or 'rocking' with it. At some point, when you snap your fingers and do your step, you are gonna put ya back out.

I was watching VH1 Soul last night and this India.Arie song "I am Not My Hair" comes on. OK I have no problem with this woman and I think her music is great. She is a talent. I have to admit I was the first person running around humming that I was 'not the average girl from the video". But, come on now, this chick is taking it TOO far. Must every song be about you and your hair or how much better you are because you refuse to get the Dudley products like the rest of us.

Don't get me wrong...

Ms. Crimes Legal has a head full of the most beautiful locks I have ever seen. OK stop a moment. Why do we always say a "head full"? If the girl was sporting locks around a shiny bald spot that would be another post altogether...me or India wouldn't be able to do or sing a damn thing. Anyway, anytime I see someone with 2 strain twist I want to figure out how I, too, can get the look. I love the look of natural hair. I just really don't have an idea how to get to that point...and I am a little afraid of how I will look in the meantime. I have another friend who at any given moment may sport anything from a natural to a Mary J. Blige blonde weave.
And looks good either way. It amazes me. I just don't have that must confidence. OK yeah...I am scared! I am a big girl, I can admit that. I keep thinking my head will be shaped wrong or I may have a bump up there that needs to be covered by some hair. I would hate to look like Cockroach off the Cosby show (remember that one? HAHA!).

But this chick really has a problem...if you have to sing about it that much then the hair thing really is a big deal for you, India. I understand that her whole point is that we are to love ourselves. So in solidarity with India, I have decided to write my own love song for my hair and the all the hair of the perm girls (same tune as India's song, I am not that talented...at least not yet) Sing it LOUD my straight haired, relaxed sistahs!:

I got me a perm,

My hair is so straight...

I get my naps done today and I can't wait.

Dudley's and Motions...that is all for me...

When my money's tight, there's Dark and Loveeeeely.



Love ya perms, locks, Afros.....do YOU!!

No comments: