Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Words of Wisdom from Small People..




It is chilly in Miami this morning. I love this kinda weather. We don't get much of it here, but when we do, I love it. There is something about a chilly morning. It just seems refreshing. I think it is more the change of seasons that I like. It's funny that I like winter so much because truthfully, I hate being cold. I think it is all the warm things that you can do in winter that make it my favorite.

I really needed to feel this change this morning. I think it is like some higher power reminding me that things do change. You really just have to wait sometimes.

Yesterday, I had a weird experience. I had a parent come in and talk to me about her son. This was the same woman that came to talk to me about her child walking in the rain a while back. At first, when she came in I had my pie face on. I really did not want to talk to her. But, I had decided that this 9 weeks I was going to start anew. That, of course, meant that these conversations with her were just one thing that I would have to deal with...politely. She explained that her son was not in school today because he was afraid of me and I yelled too much and she had considered taking him out of my class.

It was a blow straight to my gut. But before answering her... I thought a minute. Then I said to her something I never thought I would say...I would take my child out of here, too.

She looked at me with the strangest look. She must have thought that I did not hear her, "Mrs. Green, I want to move him."

I know, and I understand.

At this point this woman must have thought that I had lost my marbles. Truth be told, I know that if she knew all I had to deal with during the day, she would rush to have her child removed. I know that if I was in my child's class and saw all the demons that I deal with, I, too, would take my child out in a hurry.

"But we like you." She said.

" And I like your son too.' See their child is really polite and really sensitive and for him to be in a room with the demons I have is just not right. Though she would probably be taking the little piece of sanity I have away from me....I understood.

"Well, there must be something we can do?"

So, long story short, I spent a good chunk of my evening at a student's house. It was nice. We had apple juice. It was just like the end of one of those circa 1960 sitcoms where every conflict is resolved in 30 minutes. We actually sat and talked and this young man explained that he knows that I am not mad at him, but that I have to raise my voice sometimes because the kids do not listen. I asked him what I should do. He said, " Just do your best."
Well, damn! Now I feel stupid for not thinking of that.

So that brings me to today. Wildly enough, this chilly fall day, I decided to do just that...my best. that's all. Nothing else. And it turned out well. Now, the day did not go perfectly. We did have some moments. But for the most part, I just concentrated on doing my best. At the end of the day I asked Mr. Deep Thoughts ( I knew you were waiting on his name) how I did. " You did great Ms. Green! You did your best."

And his is right, I did. Yeah me!!

No comments: